Maptitude provides many age-based demographics including total population, current and future age group numbers, and age brackets broken down by education, gender, birthrate, health insurance coverage, poverty status, and more. The age-based data provided with Maptitude are often segmented into ranges (e.g. under 18, or 35-39). Formula fields allow you to combine these populations into the target groups that you need to reach.
The following steps outline how to identify and map Millennials, defined here as those born between 1976 and 2000:
- Choose New map of United States (or whatever country you are using) to create a general purpose map for your area of interest.
- If the ZIP Code layer is not visible, use the Display Manager to make it visible and make it the working layer.
- Choose Map>Thematic Mapping>Color or click .
- Choose Formula from the bottom of the Field drop-down list.
- Click Sum Fields. In the Filter box type age. Highlight the three fields covering the ages from 20 to 44 years old, and click Add>>.
- Click OK to close the Choose Formula Fields dialog box and click OK again in the Sum Fields dialog box.
- In the Formula Fields drop-down, type Millennials.
- Click OK to close the Formula dialog box and click OK again in the Color Theme dialog box. Maptitude creates a theme of the Millennial population by ZIP Code.