To add custom formula fields to your plans, you can add your formula fields to the maps your plans are based on (typically Block-VTD-County.Map or Block-Block Group-Tract-County.Map).
You can follow the steps below to add custom formula fields to a map.
- Open the map you want to add a formula field to by doing File>Open, selecting Map, Workspace as the file type, and browsing for your map.
- Create a new table via File>New>Table and choose Fixed-format binary as the file format.
- Check Add Records
- Select the Add matching records radio button with Census Block in the Dataview dropdown, All Features in the Set dropdown, Block in the Join Field, and click OK.
- Add fields to the table using the Add Field button and be sure change the name and type of each new field.
- Click OK and save the newly created table.
- Scroll to the right of the newly created Dataview to find your custom fields.
- Right click on the column containing the new field’s, select Fill>Formula, and type in your formula.
- Close the joined Dataview window.
- Use File>Open and select Fixed-format binary as the file type to open the table you created in step 6.
- Select your map as the active window by clicking on it.
- Follow steps 6 to 15 in the “How Do I Incorporate Block Level Data into Other Layers?” article.
- Create or open a plan that is based off of the map you just attached political data to.
- Add your formula fields as summary fields via Redistricting>Settings>Plan Settings>Summary Fields>Change and specify the appropriate denominator fields.