Learn more about how Maptitude can help your organization:
12-Month U.S. ZIP Code Layer Subscription
Do you make business decisions based on postal data? If so, Caliper quarterly ZIP Code updates will ensure you are using the latest data. The U.S. 5-digit ZIP Codes Data Disc contains a nationwide area database with 5-digit ZIP Code boundaries for all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the territories. It also includes a point database of 5-digit ZIP Code centroids and an area database of 3-digit ZIP Code boundaries for the entire country. Caliper updates this file quarterly to provide up-to-date access to United States Postal Service changes.
The Data CD ships with Census ACS demographic data at no additional cost, including fields for income, age, race, gender, and ethnicity.
Price: US$795. Place your order online at the Caliper Store.
Creating Drive Time Zones by Clicking on a Map
Maptitude 2012 provides the most accurate drive-time zone calculations (see the training video).
The Network Bands tool has been completely overhauled in Maptitude 2012 and, among many other changes, now allows origins to be chosen by simply clicking on the map.
The following steps walk you through this task:
1. Choose File-New, choose Map from the New File dialog box, and click OK. This brings you to the Create-a-Map Wizard.
2. Choose the General Purpose Map option, then choose A County, type the name of a county (e.g., Cook IL) in the Name box, click Next, and click Finish.
3. Choose Tools-Routing-Network Bands to display the Network Bands toolbox.
4. Click in the Network Bands toolbox to activate the Click Origin Points tool.
5. Click on three different locations on the map. Maptitude places symbols at each of the clicked points.
6. By default, the toolbox creates drive-time bands based on the Travel Time field in the street layer. Type 5 in the Every edit box and 15 in the Max edit box to create three 5-minute network bands around each of the locations where you clicked.
7. Click in the Network Bands toolbox. Maptitude creates the bands and adds them to the map along with a color theme to illustrate the drive times. Any portion of the map that is not covered by a band is greater than a fifteen-minute drive from the clicked locations.
Featured Maptitude Maps:
Tornado Damage Map
This month we showcase a Clarksville/Montgomery County (TN) GIS Center map created with an older version of Maptitude that highlights the utility of Maptitude in disaster response:
If you would like to see your maps showcased here, please contact Caliper.
Previous Issue (December 2011)