Territory Mapping Software
Maptitude mapping software gives you a suite of tools useful for creating territories for your business mapping needs.
Often a territory is an area that is made up of several smaller areas merged together. For example, sales territories or market areas might be made up of groups of postal zones, counties, or other regions (Figure 1). Maptitude can build the territories for you and compute the attributes and demographics of each one.
You can use Maptitude to create territories based on a table or Excel spreadsheet of data; interactively by clicking on features in a map such as postal areas; or manually by drawing whatever boundary lines you require using the Maptitude editing tools. It is also possible to create overlapping territories or territories based on streets. Your territories can be stored natively in Maptitude or in formats including Shapefile, Oracle Spatial, or SQL Server Spatial.
Unlike many other mapping and GIS software packages that require users to purchase data separately, Maptitude includes extensive geographic and demographic data so that you can get started creating territories as soon as you open the box.
Maptitude has powerful tools for creating territories that include:
- A Wizard for importing your region, county, or postal data directly into a new territory layer. This tool can also create your territories based on data filters and queries. Further, the territories you create can overlap in as many places as required and can be visualized using an "edge" style (Figure 2).
- A street-based territory tool that provides advanced zone creation capabilities. You can create territories around locations based on the time or distance it takes to travel along roads. Such territories can be weighted by the size of the facility, the number of clients, or the amount of revenue, ensuring that the most successful locations dominate smaller ones proportionately. This tool also allows the complete assignment of a market to your list of locations, allowing your probable market coverage, for example, to be easily visualized by sales representatives (Figure 3).
- A straight-line distance tool that determines the areas closest to each of your facilities by building areas of influence (Thiessen Polygons or a Voronoi Diagram), then estimates the attributes and demographics within each area to identify areas that are under- or over-served or to give you a quick visualization of your service areas (Figure 4).
- A Merge by Value utility that uses a field already in a table as the basis for creating territories. The areas, such as postal zones, are grouped based on a field that contains the territory codes. The tool automatically computes the attributes of the new areas using any number of additional fields.
- A tool for manually creating, adding, moving, or splitting areas by drawing boundary lines. You can also add and edit areas using lines from features such as roads, railroads, or rivers. Areas in non-native file formats, including Esri Shapefiles and geodatabases which can have overlapping areas, can be edited and Maptitude can automatically "snap" overlaps as you edit.
- Point-and-click and lasso tools for individually choosing the features that make up a territory. For each territory you can view demographic totals (e.g., high-income earners, households) and a count of the number of combined zones (such as Postal/ZIP Codes). In addition, there is control over for managing territory overlap.
CLICK HERE to learn more about Maptitude.
Automated Territory Creation
Caliper has tools for automatically creating territories. These territories can be balanced so that they contain equal numbers of customers, sales, population, or any other value.
- Partitioning organizes postal zones, counties, or other regions into territories based on proximity or similarity, to produce territories that are contiguous, compact, and balanced. Partitioning supports service territory alignment, sales and marketing, redistricting, and many other applications.
- Clustering organizes customers, facilities, or areas into groups that are compact and can be serviced efficiently. Territories can be restricted to a certain size, such as a customer or population maximum. Clustering is very flexible and can be used to solve many problems such as sales force deployment.
The automatic territory creation tools are available at additional cost. Please contact Caliper Sales at +1 617-527-4700 or email@example.com for more information.
CLICK HERE to learn more about Maptitude.