How can I add highways to my map that are only for my area?
The highways included with Maptitude for Precinct and Election Management
cover the entire US. You can easily create a new highway file which covers
only your area by doing the following:
- Open your Precinct Map using P&E Mgt-Precinct Map.
- Add the Highways to your map by choosing Add Layer from
Map-Layers. The layer you should add is called
cchighway.cdf. Click Close after you have added the layer.
- Change the working layer of your map to Highway. Then choose
Tools-Geographic Utilities-Clip by Area.
- Choose Precincts from the first Layer drop-down list and All Records
from the Selection drop-down list. Verify that the highway layer is
chosen as the layer to cut.
- Click OK. You will be prompted to enter a file name for your new
highways file. Call it "Highways" and click Save.
- Choose Map-Layers, highlight the layers
Highway and Highway Node, and click Drop Layer (click Yes to confirm).
Then click Add Layer and browse to the new geographic file created in
step 3 (Highway.dbd). Click Open.
- Click Close in the Layers dialog box.
Your map will draw with highways for your area. Be sure to choose
File-Save As to save your Precinct map with the highway layer.
Back to Tech Corner Support Page