Maptitude for Redistricting is now available as an ArcGIS extension.
As a result, you have access to the redistricting functionality and
ease-of-use of Maptitude for Redistricting while leveraging your
in-house expertise in ArcGIS software and all of your existing Oracle,
SQL Server, DB2, and other data through the ArcGIS DBMS support.
With the ArcGIS redistricting extension, you can integrate online content from Esri
to create more informative maps for
building districts and more professional maps for printing. You can also
export your plans to Google Earth.
The ArcGIS redistricting extension features a Plan Manager that serves as your
redistricting control center. Use it to organize plans, create any
number of plan types (e.g., congressional, state house, state senate, and
school district), and save them as Plan Templates. To create a plan,
simply choose a template or an existing plan and enter a new name. You
can organize plans in libraries by plan type, user, security access,
etc., and you can locate, copy, change settings, and password-protect
The ArcGIS redistricting extension includes a custom menu and toolbox that let you:
- Create a new plan from a map or template. You only have to enter
the settings once. From then on, you can create a new plan by
picking the appropriate template or existing plan.
- Import and merge plans created with the extension or other
- Designate the control field, number of districts, ideal value,
and summary fields.
- Include any number of data fields in the same plan;
toggle between field sets lets you display only the data of interest
at any particular time.
- Assign both an ID and a long name to districts, rename districts,
lock districts, and manage multiple districts.
- Add areas from any geographic layer to a district by clicking,
by dragging a box, by circle, by polygon, or by line. You can select
from the entire jurisdiction or limit
the selection to unassigned areas or one district. As you add areas to a district, Maptitude for
Redistricting redraws the district boundaries and updates the
control and summary fields to reflect changes to the current plan.
- Capture the current status of a plan as a snapshot. Each plan
can have one or more snapshots organized by date and time under the
same plan name. Return to any snapshot, and use it as a departure
point in the evolution of the plan or as the starting point for a
- Find unassigned areas and noncontiguous districts.
Toolboxes make it easy to zoom to and fix problems.
- Identify communities of interest. Keep them intact within the
same district, and lock them so that you cannot accidentally
reassign them to different districts. Alternatively, for communities
that you do split into multiple districts, run the Communities of
Interest reports to calculate the total and percent population of
the community in each district.
- Compute measures of compactness to assess or defend the
districts in a plan. Maptitude for Redistricting computes all of the
recognized measures of geographic compactness including the Reock,
Schwartzberg, Perimeter, Polsby-Popper, Length-Width, Population
Polygon, Population Circle, and Ehrenburg metrics.
- Export to standard equivalency file formats that can be read
by other redistricting software and the Department of Justice.
- Generate and print over 35 reports including population summary,
error check, political subdivision splits, incumbents, plan
statistics, plan components (bill language), plan comparison, communities of
interest, measures of compactness, and more. Create custom reports
and add them to the report menu.
Maptitude is the perfect solution for adding additional GIS
users where Esri software is already in use. Maptitude:
Map Esri Shapefiles, Geodatabase, and more...
- Integrates with other vendor products by
supporting formats such as Esri shapefiles, Esri
geodatabases, and Esri ArcMap maps (more...)
- Has lower costs, lower barriers to use, and a lower
- Can be installed and used within minutes of receiving a
download of the software
- Has low IT support needs as an MS Office style
- Has low ongoing costs (one-off pricing with optional
- Is commonly used where there is already an Esri
Easy to Learn and Use
Maptitude for Redistricting Extension for ArcGIS includes online help
and detailed manuals packed with step-by-step instructions and
tutorials. The Plan Manager leads you through the process of creating
your first plan and speeds the creation of all additional plans. Caliper
also offers classroom training at your site or at our headquarters in
For more information on the Maptitude for Redistricting ArcGIS
download the brochure or contact Caliper Corporation (email:
call +1 617-527-4700).