Alternative to Microsoft Streets & Trips Software
Maptitude is the best Microsoft Streets and Trips™ alternative. The trip planning tools in Maptitude identify optimal routes for travel and deliveries, calculate the distances between destinations, and produce driving directions. Streets & Trips has been discontinued and Maptitude is the best replacement.
Is Microsoft Streets and Trips still available?
Microsoft's flagship mapping product, MapPoint, was discontinued, along with AutoRoute and Streets & Trips, on December 31, 2014, and online support was available for the products through July 14, 2015. Maptitude is a location-intelligence offering that covers all the areas that Streets & Trips covered.
There are many benefits when you use Maptitude:
- Plan road trips
- Locate/geocode pushpins
- Use Maptitude as a GPS locator mapping software
- Import/export Google Maps file formats
Key route planning features of Maptitude include:
- Turn-by-turn directions
- The latest updated streets and maps
- Routes that can be manually edited by dragging the path to new destinations
- Prioritizing travel over highways, allowing for faster routing over long distances
- Creating a directions report for your route
- Support for nationwide trip planning to an unlimited number of destinations
- Viewing of multiple routes in a single map
When a trip involves many different stops/waypoints, Maptitude helps you decide the best order to visit them. Most importantly, Maptitude lets you choose what type of route you want:
- The shortest route
- The fastest route
- The ordered route (when visits or deliveries must be conducted sequentially)
- The route that returns to the origin
- The route that you interactively modify
The best route can mean different things to different people. Often the best route is the one that is the fastest, while others prefer the path that is shortest in terms of mileage, or a trip that maximizes use of highways, or avoids population centers:
- A salesperson might want to set up an itinerary for less driving time and more time with customers
- A chemical company transporting hazardous chemicals may want to uses roads that avoid areas where many people live or work
Maptitude has the features of Microsoft Streets and Trips 2013 and can meet all the above demands. Maptitude uses an accurate and up-to-date street database. Maptitude handles one-way streets, and supports display of these on the map.
You can easily get started planning your route by simply clicking in a map on all the places you want to visit. You can also locate stops/waypoints by typing an address, or automatically by using addresses in an Excel spreadsheet or in any other table or database. If you have a point layer of your customers, you could select the customers you want to visit and then have Maptitude determine the best route to use to visit them.
There are also additional best route tools that allow you to:
- Create rings to show drive time or distance from one or more locations
- Create territories on streets using travel time
“We purchased Maptitude for a yearly mapping project. We are a non-profit charitable organization and our volunteers deliver gift bags to all 930 member families. It was my task to map 85+ delivery routes to all member families in our local area. I was seeking a substitute for Microsoft Streets and Trips. Maptitude is like Streets and Trips on steroids. I think there is probably not much Maptitude can't do. There is a bit of a learning curve because it is so powerful. But I like the ability to customize the map points with a staggering array of colors and shapes. I can save the maps, make PDFs, optimize routing. Everything I need—plus. Thank you Maptitude.”