You can convert your territories to a different geography layer by using sales territory mapping software.
The geography layer is the areas that your territories will be based on.
For example, territories with ZIP Codes as the geography layer will be made up of several ZIP Codes.
Sometimes, after doing some territory mapping, you find a part of the map that makes you really wish you’d picked a different layer as your base geography.
This can come up in a number of ways, but a very common one is when you have started with a base geography that was larger, such as Counties, but then need to divide up a given county so you want to use a finer geography, such as ZIP Codes.
Instead of starting from scratch, Maptitude has a tool that allows you to create a new territory layer from an existing area layer, which you can use to convert from Territory layer to a different one with a new base geography.
Some important things to note:
- If the boundaries of the first territory layer, don’t line up exactly with the boundaries of the new base geography, the boundaries of the territory layer will shift to the best approximation of the old territory boundaries with the new base geographies.
- You can use this tool even when the starting layer wasn’t a Territory layer, but just a custom-made area layer.
- The final step in this may take a while to process while it compares the old geographies and the new ones, especially if the territories cover a large area
Please try these steps to convert your territories to a different geography layer:
- Choose Map > New Territory Layer
- Choose From my existing area layer and select your territories layer from the dropdown. Choose Next.
- Change Geography Layer to the layer you want and Geography Field to the appropriate field (i.e. ZIP for ZIP codes) then choose Next.
- Add any tracking fields you’d like on the final step, then choose Finish.
- Maptitude will bind the old territories to the new geography layer. This might take a minute or two for the software to process.
- Once complete, you should have a new layer on the map with your territories using the new geography layer.
For more information on managing your territories, please see the tutorial video on managing territories.