You can create demographic maps using demographic mapping software.
To quickly create a demographic map you can use Maptitude’s Demographic Map Librarian.
This collection contains economic, social, housing, and demographic maps that you can open and use in your mapping work.
The following steps describe how to open and synchronize two county demographic maps:
- From the Home Window, choose New demographic map. Click OK.
- Choose a map category from the first scroll list. For example, choose County Demographic & Social Profile. The second scroll list updates to show the available maps for the category you chose.
- Choose one or more of the maps. For example, click on Population and Ctrl-click on Population – Per Square Mile to open those two demographic maps.
- Finally, choose the location you want to see. Choose Other Location… from the third scroll list and click OK.
- Choose U.S. State from the scroll list, enter the two letter abbreviation for your home state in the edit box, and click OK.
- Choose Window>Tile Vertically or Window>Tile Horizontally to see the two maps side by side.
- Choose Map>Synchronize and click OK to synchronize the two maps.
- Click on the Tools toolbar and click and drag on one of the maps to recenter it. Both maps update to the new location.
- Choose File>Close Workspace to close the workspace.
For more information on thematic mapping, please see the Maptitude video tutorial on creating thematic maps.
To create demographic reports, please see the Maptitude tutorial article on creating reports.