The trip planning tools in Maptitude identify optimal routes for travel and deliveries, calculate the distances between destinations, and produce driving directions.
Several key features of the Maptitude delivery route planner include:
- Easy to use fleet route planning software
- Allows for manually editing routes by dragging the path to new destinations
- Can prioritize travel over highways, allowing for faster routing over long distances
- Can create a turn-by-turn directions report for your delivery drivers
- Support for nationwide trip planning to an unlimited number of destinations
- Multiple optimized routes in a single map
- Determines time and fuel costs
- Extensive route planning tools
- Includes a comprehensive suite of other business mapping software tools
When a trip involves many different stops, Maptitude helps you decide the best order to visit them. Most importantly, Maptitude lets you choose what type of route you want:
- The shortest route
- The fastest route
- The ordered route (when visits or deliveries must be conducted sequentially)
- The route that returns to the origin
- The route that you interactively modify
“We have found Maptitude to be a really useful piece of software. It allows us to quickly and easily represent various data geographically, and the ease of functionality and ability to layer data makes it really user friendly. It has, among other things, helped us develop our sector-leading delivery service and understand areas that require focus from our sales teams.”
“Caliper produces the inexpensive Maptitude desktop GIS package which has extensive GIS-Transportation functionality.”
Professor Nigel M. Waters
Example: One of the big issues you face, especially if you are a delivery service, is ensuring efficient fleet management to stay competitive. Even small reductions in transportation time or cost can add up to big savings for your company. Your delivery drivers may make multiple deliveries per shift, where each destination has varying stop times, may require rest stops, and based on vehicle type has varying speed constraints and fuel costs. Maptitude can handle these scenarios for you and uses sophisticated algorithms that ensure that your vehicles take the most time-efficient and energy-efficient routes while making multiple deliveries.
The best route can mean different things to different people. Often the efficient route is the one that is the fastest, while others prefer the path that is shortest in terms of mileage, or a trip that maximizes use of highways, or avoids population centers:
- A salesperson might want to set up an itinerary for less driving time and more time with customers
- A chemical company transporting hazardous chemicals may want to uses roads that avoid areas where many people live or work
Maptitude is the best routing software for meeting all of the demands listed above, and uses an accurate and up-to-date street database. Maptitude routing and scheduling software handles one-way streets, and supports display of these on the map.
You can easily get started planning your route by simply clicking in a map on all the places you want to visit. You can also locate stops by typing an address, or automatically by using multiple addresses in an Excel spreadsheet or in any other table or database. If you have a point layer of your customers, you could select the customers you want to visit and then have Maptitude determine the best route to use to visit them.
There are also additional best route tools that allow you to:
- Create rings to show drive time or distance from one or more locations
- Create territories on streets using travel time
- Perform multiple vehicle routing